Frequently Asked Questions
The Car Donation program of Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County is a long running vehicle donation program within Santa Clara County which accepts all types of vehicles, including cars, trucks, vans, RVs, motorcycles, trailers and boats.
Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County began the Car Donation program with the intent of making vehicle donation fast and simple. For over 15 years, our car program has provided generous vehicle donors with complete and accurate California Department of Motor Vehicles title processing, IRS approved receipts, and fast, free towing. Our goal is to make car donation a fast and simple process.
- Why Donate to Car Donation of Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County?
- Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County’s Car Donation program is unique in that over 80% of the vehicle donation funds directly benefits individuals and families in need. Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with an outstanding record of being rated a four star charity and being among the top organizations according to Charity Navigator.
- Unlike many for profit companies running a car donation program for one or more charities, at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County we focus on providing a unique experience for our donors. We cut out the middleman - charity car donation programs or programs which accept cars and then give a percentage of the money to charity. When donating to Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County your vehicle donation directly benefits our charity and your community.
- At Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County is a registered non-profit and is known as one of the oldest and most respected charities in the South Bay Area. Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County helps individuals in need and provides a broad range of services, including job skills training and placement, older adult services, mental health and substance abuse counseling, housing assistance, financial education, immigration support, and refugee resettlement. We also provide educational programs that help young people develop into self-sufficient adults. Each year, we serve more than 37,000 people in need.
- How do I donate my vehicle?Donating your vehicle is simple and fast. Choose from either option below to get started. Our friendly staff will walk you through the quick car donation process.
- Call us today at 1.866.565.5912 to make an appointment.
- Fill out our simple car donation form online
- How quickly is my vehicle picked up?
We make donating your car as simple and convenient as possible. In some cases if we receive your call early in the day, we can provide a same-day pick up of your vehicle donation. The same day you provide our friendly staff and towing individuals with your car information, we will contact you within 24 hours to establish a convenient time to pick up your vehicle donation.
Our average vehicle donation pick up is usually about 24 - 48 hours from your initial contact.
If you need this process to be expedited, we are able to accommodate you, simply explain your situation to our car donation representative. Call us today at 1.866.565.5912.
- Do you take any vehicles?
Yes! At Car Donation of Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County, we accept any type of vehicle donations, car, truck, trailer, RVs, boats, motorcycle, bus, or SUV.
- Does my vehicle need to be in running condition?
- What documentation do I need to provide to donate my vehicle? (make change)
The only documentation you need to provide is a signed and clear title of your vehicle donation.
The clear title should indicate that the vehicle belongs to you (the donor).
- Do I need to be present at the time of pick-up?
While we always enjoy meeting our generous donors, we do not require that you be present during the vehicle donation pick up. Simply clean your vehicle of any personal belongings and we will do the rest.
- What will happen to my vehicle donation?
Your vehicle donation will be assessed by our car donation specialists and their future depends on the condition of the vehicle as well as other contributing factors. Many of the vehicle donated are junked or used for parts. To find out more, visit or call us at 1.866.565.5912.
- Where do you pick up?
We conduct vehicle donation pick ups all over the South Bay Area and often can make exceptions to reach our donors in the surrounding counties. Call us today at 1.866.565.5912 to find out if we pick up in your area.
- Who benefits from my vehicle donation?
At Catholic Charities we benefit from your donation by receiving a cash donation to fund new and existing programs and increase community awareness throughout Santa Clara County.
You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. You can also get to avoid the hassles associated with selling your car. When you donate your car to Catholic Charities you reduce your need to pay for advertising, prevent security risk and remove yourself from needing to pay for vehicle registration, insurance, and conduct repairs to keep your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.
- If someone passes away can the vehicle still be donated?
Car Donation of Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County can pick up the vehicle donation as long as we have a copy of the death certificate and proper documentation that you are the inheritor of the deceased’s belongings.
- Can I donate an abandoned vehicle?
No. We are unable to accept abandoned vehicles. To get rid of an abandoned car within Santa Clara County call or visit your local Police Department.
- How is the value of my vehicle donation determined?
The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle.
- What can I claim as a deduction?
According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale. An IRS form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle is sold for more than $500. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.